Re: Philippians 2:6

From: Jon R. Venema (104412.344@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 13:14:24 EST

>Message text written by "Rodney J. Decker"

>The info at these URLs address an idiom involved in the HARPAGMOS crux. If
>the idiom is not recognized (and I didn't see any evidence of it in the few
>posts on the subject that I just read, though I didn't read all of them),
>then the thrust of the passage will be severely misconstrued. There was a
>diss. at Harvard (Roy Hoover) that has, IMHO, provided the best explanation
>of the idiom and its function here. There was an *HTR* article summarizing
>the diss. as well. Details at the URL above.

Rod, et al.,

There is another fine article by N. T. Wright, "hARPAGMOS and the Meaning
of Philippians 2:5-11," Journal of Theological Studies, 37.2 (1986), 321-352,
which builds upon the work of R. W. Hoover (cf. "The Harpagmos Enigma: A
Philological Solution, HTR, 64.1 (1971), 95-119). Wright suggested at 2:6,
"who being in the form of God, did not regard this divine equality as
something to be used for his own advantage, but rather emptied himself..."

Jon R. Venema
Western Seminary
Sacramento (Portland
San Jose, Seattle)