Re: Wever's Note's on Greek text of Genesis

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 17:04:23 EST

Mark and Steven,

Thanks a lot, I have ordered them.

>From: Steven Craig Miller

> Wevers' notes are
> not designed to teach an intermediate student how to better read Greek

No, I would not expect these text books on Greek, any more than I would
expect Wenham or Cassuto on Genesis to be text books on Hebrew.

> One thing which strikes me as odd is that Weavers offers his suggestions
> for textual readings for "Gen" [= LXX Genesis], but this is a list of
> corrections for the critical text of the Gottingen Genesis, so the student
> who only has Rahlfs' LXX is left wondering what the difference between
> Rahlfs' and the Gottingen Genesis might be (there was no such list for
> Exodus).

This is no suprise. Wever assumes you have the Gottingen LXX, I mean,
who would not have it? ;-) Anyway, I can live with this problem. Perhaps
some day some money will fall from the sky and I will buy the Gottingen
LXX.

>From: Mark Gibbs <GibbsM@smcsc.edu>

> I have found Wever's work particularly helpful for my own purposes. I am
> studying the LXX in 1 Clement and as the LXX is far from my area of expertise,
> his insight is invaluable for my work.

Mark,

This is what I need to know. You found it worth using. Good, I will
without a doubt find it worth useing as well.

Thanks again.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point