Re: Wever's Note's on Greek text of Genesis

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 17:32:27 EST

<x-flowed>To: Clayton Stirling Bartholomew,

CSB: << My first impression is that Steven's remark: "For an intermediate
student wanting a better grasp of Greek, these notes might be seen to be of
little value" is misleading. I think that these books would be very useful
to an "intermediate student" because Wevers explains a lot of things about
Hellenistic Greek which would fall into the beginning-intermediate
category. This is not intended to be a quibble. >>

And what's wrong with quibbling? Why not quibble and be proud of it? I
would like to quibble, at least just a bit. I would like to note that the
statement of mine which you quoted contained the qualification "might." I
never suggested that an intermediate student couldn't find anything of
value in Weavers' book, only that helping the intermediate student to
better understand Greek was not Wevers' primary goal. It seems to me that
my statement, in its proper context, was more balanced than you seem
willing to give credit. What I wrote was:

SCM: << It is written for the advanced student. It is assumed that one
knows how to read Hebrew and Greek. Wevers' notes are not designed to teach
an intermediate student how to better read Greek, although an intermediate
student might find Wever's notes of some value if he or she was attempting
to read through one of these LXX books. But the central stress of these
notes is placed on understanding how the LXX translators translated the
Hebrew text. For an intermediate student wanting a better grasp of Greek,
these notes might be seen to be of little value. >>

If the above is "misleading," it surely isn't "misleading" by much. <grin>

Just quibbling,

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"