Re: Question on John 17:3

From: Dan Parker (stoixein@sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 15:36:17 EST

> At 8:44 AM -0800 12/27/99, Robert W Meyers wrote:
> >Would someone tell me whether the Granville Sharp rule
> >has any applicability here?
> >
> >"The only True God" KAI "Jesus Christ Whom You sent?"
> >
> >Is the ON preceding APESTEILAS regarded as a second
> >definite article disqualifying the Granville Sharp here?
> >
> >In that case, does it negate the possibility of identifying
> >to two phrases as an identity? (cf 1 John 5:20, etc)?
>
> The text reads hON APESTEILAS here; hON is the relative pronoun acc. sg.
> m.: "whom you sent." So no article is involved here at all, and no GS; a
> distinction is clearly being made.
>

> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics/Washington University
> One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
> Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/
>
> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: stoixein@sdf.lonestar.org

I admit to a bit of confusion here. I thought that the GS rule was with
regards to the construction 'article noun kai noun,' and that the argument
being proposed is tha the absense of the article before the noun made
it a candidate for GS.

Therefore if hON APESTEILAS in 'TON MONON ALHQINON QEON KAI hON APESTEILAS'
is a substantive, why does the lack of article before hON APESTEILAS not make
this a GS construction?

Sincerely,
Dan

--