Luke 2:2

From: KJohn36574@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 22:11:53 EST

Pardon me once again for being historical.

Dr. John McRay (archaeologist at Wheaton College) is quoted in Lee Strobel's
book, "The Case for Christ" (1998) as stating the following solution for the
timing of Quirinius' first census,

" An eminent archaeologist named Jerry Vardaman has done a great deal of work
in this regard. He has found a coin with the name of Quirinius on it in very
small writing, or what we call 'micrographic' letters. This places him as
proconsul of Syria and Cilicia from 11 B.C. until after the death of Herod [4
B.C.]
(page 101).

"...It means that there were apparently two Quiriniuses...It's not uncommon
to have lots of people with the same Roman names, so there's no reason to
doubt that there were two people by the name of Quirinius. The census would
have taken place under the reign of the earlier Quirinius. Given the cycle of
a census every fourteen years, that would work out quite well" (page 102).

So it appears that most on this board have a translation of Lk. 2:2 [first
census] that works out quite well.

Well, its not Greek, but at least I discussed a Latin name. Hope you find use
for this information.

Ken Johnson
Elk Grove, CA
KJohn36574@aol.com