Re: Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna all rendered "hell"--Loyal translation?

From: Bill Burks (rwburks@flash.net)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 10:59:06 EST

Steven,

The word TARTAROW in 2 Peter as opposed to the other two words mentioned does have
some significance. Otherwise I suspect Peter would have used a different word. The
words translated hell in the KJV and some other versions of the New Testament do
have significantly different meanings. Therefore they should be translated
differently to show that difference in meaning intended by the author.

What you are proposing for Hadis, and Gehenna is not really translating but
transliterating these words. This has been done with several words throughout the
KJV and other versions. This tends to devalue the meaning of the original words.
After all is not the purpose of a translation to take words, syntax, and gramatical
forms of the words, phrases, and sentences with respect to the author's original
usage in one language and bring the original author's meaning into the receptor
language.

The use of TARTAROW in 2 Peter presents a different issue to the translator, because
of its limited use in the text, the translator can not lean on other examples of its
usage in the New Testament when trying to determine its meaning. Sometimes a person
can look at other secular texts of the same period, or other periods and glean some
of a words meaning from its use in these settings. Also as with the use of words in
any language the context of the passage itself may shed much light on the author's
meaning in the usage of that word. Since I don't have a greek text in front of me,
nor even an English translation, I can not comment on the specific use of the word
TARTAROW in 2 Peter except from memory, so I won't hazard misquoting the context
here.

Regards,

Bill Burks (also just a student)