Re: The Purpose of Syntactical Categories

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 11:42:32 EST

Tony Stark wrote:

> Greetings to all.
> This may be a simple question for most on this list,but I need to ask this
> question anyway.
> What is the purpose for the numerous syntactical categories in
> advance grammar? For example:
> 1.Descriptive Genitive
> 2. Genitive of Content
> 3. Genitive Absolute
> 4.Dative of Sphere etc.
> I Know they describe part of the greek sentence, but why are they used? Why
> memorize them?
> Can someone explain their use for exegesis or why it is taught in advance
> courses? ETC.

        None of these categories are correct . . . they all are, however,
possibilities. If you memorize and understand all the categories, you
are then able to take the next step: forget them! By that time, you
will hopefully be gaining a feel for "how the language speaks." Then,
the categories are useful as a shorthand for communicating with others
who ask about the language.
        I know that is vague, and it always frustrates my students; but, I do
think that this is the manner in which Grammar should be approached.

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible