Re: Temple and New world translation of holy scriptures?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 18:21:28 EST

<x-flowed>To: Solomon Landers,

<< I would not call it "speculative" reconstruction. ... We do not have
the original of Matthew's gospel, in either Hebrew (as some early church
writers mentioned) or Greek. Any Hebrew version would be expected to
contain the tetragrammaton. In view of the practice of certain
pre-Christian copiers of the LXX of including the tetragrammaton in Hebrew
amidst the Greek, I do not consider such a reconstruction to be
"speculative." It is a restoration clearly plausible in light of the
original text in quotation. >>

Even if one accepted such an analysis as weighty, a textual critical would
consider such a suggestion as at best a "conjectural emendation." And that
is by definition "speculative"! Furthermore, I would note that there is not
one scholarly edition of the Greek New Testament which takes such a
conjectural emendation seriously. Indeed, it is not taken serious enough to
even appear in any scholarly Greek New Testament's textual apparatus.

And given this fact, and it is a fact (!), it is absolutely clear that when
the New World Translation translates KURIOS or QEOS in the NT as "Jehovah,"
it is not faithfully translating any scholarly Greek text of the New
Testament. That too is a fact. You might consider such facts to be
irrelevant or moot, but that does not make them any less true.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"