THREAD CLOSED: Temple and New world translation of holy scriptures?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 06:58:55 EST

At 6:38 PM -0600 1/4/00, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>This thread began very nicely and then got stuck on a broken record, the
>theme being more translation theory than the Greek text of the Bible--and
>that theme has been played over and over: should we translate the extant
>Greek text? or should we translate what we think the original text would
>have been if we could recover it? If somebody has something NEW to say
>about this, hop to it, but it seems to me that the discussion has reached a
>point of diminishing returns.

Since I wrote the above yesterday evening there have been three more
messages on this thread. all focusing on the question of translation of NT
words for God as "Jehovah" in response to Steven Miller's vigorous argument
that such translation is unjustified. In my judgment these messages are
essentially defenses of the practice of the NWT; in my judgment also these
messages have continued the "broken record" repetitive character of the
latter part of this thread. I don't think this has anything to do with the
essential focus of B-Greek but is a matter of sectarian apologetics rather
thinly, if at all, disguised. If you who are involved in this want to
continue to do so, please take it OFF-LIST henceforth.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List