Re: PTOCOI PNEUMATI (was re: Heb 13:5)

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 12:01:21 EST

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
argument, based upon the usage
PTOCOI PNEUMATI
the elect, the faithful
and has
impoverishment</blockquote>
Please note that there is an ellipsis in what I wrote above. What I meant
to write was:
the usage
with or approximating the Matthean phrase,&nbsp; PTOCOI PNEUMATI has a
titular sense roughly if not exactly&nbsp; equivalent to "we, the elect,
the faithful remnant, those who in times of persecution remain loyal to
the covenant" and has little to do with economic status, let alone any
kind of&nbsp; "spiritual" impoverishment.
discussion of the sense of the term from the perspective of Honour/Shame
in Jerome Neyrey's _Honor and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew_ which argues
that the poor spoken of in Matthew are the recently dispossessed -- ie,
those who have, through wilful exploitation and machinations on the part
of the powerful, have been deprived of their rightful property. This seems
to me, however, given the parallels to PTOCOI <i>PNEUMATI</i> in the DSS,
to be more consonant with Luke than with Matthew.

</x-html>