RE: Yahweh added to OT?

From: Mark Gibbs (GibbsM@smcsc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 19:50:38 EST

Again, not wanting to throw gasoline (petrol) on any fire, but I guess
that
the "addition" of YHVH would depend on one's presuppositions concerning
the
Documentary Hypothesis (which is certainly off-topic), oral tradition,
source
criticism and the like. Sorry to not be any help...presupposition bound
here!
MWG

>===== Original Message From Grant <SMTP:grant@cajun.net> =====
>B-Greek,
>
> I recently met a man who claims that he is a Jew and that the name
>Jehovah was added to the scriptures. Sounds like an oxymoron--a Jew
that
>doesn' believe in YHWH/tetragrammaton? Now, on B-Greek, whether we
>agree/disagree on the name in the NT (good example a few days ago), it
seems
>that there is almost a complete consensus that the name was in the OT.
(But
>please do not focus on that comment)
>
>Now this question may sound somewhat bizarre but I learned that it is
best
>to give a reply to someone's claim than to automatically label it
"wrong."

>Is there some scholars that hold this belief that the Name was added to
the
>OT? I am uncertain of his argument but from what I can recall, he said
that
>when a certain king invaded the southern kingdom of Israel, this
alteration
>of the scrolls occurred. Additionally, he said that a certain list of
>something (names?) do not match up and it "proves" his theory.
>I know that I sound extremely vague, but has anyone ever come across
such
>reasoning?
>
>Any comments would be appreciated. I think that this pertains to
B-Greek,