Re: b-greek digest: January 09, 2000

From: peterg45@excite.com
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 23:26:24 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 00:00:04 -0500, Biblical Greek wrote:

> Biblical Greek Digest for Sunday, January 09, 2000.
>
> 1. Yahweh added to OT?
> 2. RE: Yahweh added to OT?
> 3. please help
> 4. LOUTRON
> 5. OFF-LIST RESPONSES ONLY: Yahweh added to OT?
> 6. thanks, Dr. Carl

> Subject: Yahweh added to OT?
> From: "Grant" <grant@cajun.net>
> Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 18:22:39 -0600
>
> B-Greek,
>
> I recently met a man who claims that he is a Jew and that the name
> Jehovah was added to the scriptures. Sounds like an oxymoron--a Jew that
> doesn' believe in YHWH/tetragrammaton? Now, on B-Greek, whether we
> agree/disagree on the name in the NT (good example a few days ago), it
seems
> that there is almost a complete consensus that the name was in the OT.
(But
> please do not focus on that comment)
>
> Now this question may sound somewhat bizarre but I learned that it is
best
> to give a reply to someone's claim than to automatically label it
"wrong."

> Is there some scholars that hold this belief that the Name was added to
the
> OT? I am uncertain of his argument but from what I can recall, he said
that
> when a certain king invaded the southern kingdom of Israel, this
alteration
> of the scrolls occurred. Additionally, he said that a certain list of
> something (names?) do not match up and it "proves" his theory.
> I know that I sound extremely vague, but has anyone ever come across such
> reasoning?
>
> Any comments would be appreciated. I think that this pertains to
B-Greek,
> but I apologize if this is a digression. I know no other source for a
> refute to his "scholarly opinion."
>
> Sincerely,
> grant polle
> usa

Grant
   Jehovah was "added"--kind of. Original Hebrew was written only with
consonants, and God's personal name, transliterated into English, was YHWH.
Because of the commandment which prohibited "taking God's name in vain", the
Hebrews would not pronounce YHWH, but would, as they read the Scriptures,
substitue the word for "Lord", Adonai. When the Jews did develop a vowel
(point) system, the vowels for "Adonai" were superimposed on the consonants
of YHWH. In the translation of the Revised Version, the translators chose to
combine the consonants of YHWH with the vowels of Adonai, and came up with a
word that didn't really exist--Jehovah. YHWH, the personal name of God in
the Old Testament has existed since Moses--"Who shall I say sent me?" Tell
them, "I am who I am" sent you (Exodus 3.14 + parallels).
   So, the Jewish person you talked to was correct to a point. Jehovah is a
name that really does not exist, except in combination of the consonants of
one name and the vowels of another name.

Gordon Goltz