re: john 1:1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 12:07:09 EST

At 11:49 AM -0500 1/11/00, Jim West wrote:
>At 04:14 PM 1/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>>B-Greek:
>>
>>I am sorry just a slip of the old typing and you get a compleatly different
>>scripture. I ment john 1:1, dont ask me why I put 1john 1:1 some time that
>>brain damage called human imperfection comes into play.
>>What is the translation of john 1:1 by the exsperts:-)
>
>In the beginning was the word. and the word was with God, and God was the
>word.

Here we go again? It had better be understood that "exsperts"--or even
"experts" are NOT of one mind on how best to translate John 1:1, for many
different reasons, some of which are grammatical and some theological. This
has been discussed at great length many times on B-Greek before and the
archives are replete with a whole spectrum of views on the question. If one
is interested in viewing a nuanced discussion of the question from a
translator's viewpoint one might well check a relatively recent thread on
the B-Translation list:

        http://BibleTranslation.listbot.com/

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu