Re: New early Wien papyrus - Hebrews

From: Thomas J. Kraus (tj.kraus@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 14:55:09 EST

On 10 Jan 00, at 23:38, Elmer Smalling wrote:

> In case you do not know:
>
> Amphilochios Papathomas has found fragments of the
> Epistle to the Hebrews in the Oesterreichische
> Nationalbibliotek Papyrussammlung in Wien. He dates them
> <100 A.D. [ P. Vindob. G42417]. This is an exciting find.
> Consider the Magdalen Barcelona, and Paris fragments!
> This was announced in Trouw (a major Dutch newspaper)
> late last week.
>
> http://www.onb.ac.at
> http://www.sbg.ac.at/nbw/people/papathom.htm
>

> Regards,

Unfortunately, I have to correct the above assertion given by Elmer
Smalling. Dr. Amphilochios Papathomas has identified P.Vindob.G
42417 as part of the Epistle to the Hebrews. But, as he pointed out
on the papy-list (papy@igl.ku.dk) on January 8, 2000, the new
papyrus is most certainly from the sixth or even seventh century
(according to the forms of e and m especially). His article providing
the essential facts of his identification will be published in the first
edition of the new "Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and
Judaism"
(http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/artshum/depts/trs/catr/journal.htm)
and cover pp. 18-22 [in print].
He decided to publish this previous short edition of the most
decisive facts about P.Vindob.G 42417 because of many incorrect
and sensationalist information provided by some newspapers such
as Trouw.

Sorry about that, somehow. But this does not make the discovery
less important and fascinating.

Best wishes,

Thomas J. Kraus

tj.kraus@gmx.de