Re: John 1:5

From: Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 03:54:01 EST

Bultmann argues this parallel and so suggests that there is
no sense of aggression in KATELABEN but rather just a sense
of intellectual grasping hold of the idea. It has to be
noted that 80% of LSJ's and Louw-Nida's possible meanings of
the active KATALAMBANW talk of an act of aggressive whereas
the idea of intellectual mastery and so comprehension is
very limited. Of course the middle KATALAMBANOMAI is listed
as 100% comprehension.

It's true that the parable holds. But where John uses
KATALAMBANW elsewhere in the Gospel (12:35) it is aggressive
and so many commentators have pushed for this as a closer
(!!!) parallel than Bultmann's suggestion. BAGD has a
comment along these lines.

Pete Phillips