Re: Luke 14:26 (Word Order)

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 22:27:45 EST

Roger Hutchinson wrote;

>Luke 14:26 has--
>EI TIS ERXETAI PROS ME KAI OU MISEI TON PATERA AUTOU....OU DUNATAI EINAI MOU
>MAQHTHS.
>
>My question is whether the location of MOU in the above makes a difference if
>it is placed before MAQHTHS or after.
>
>The verse appears to state a qualifying condition that one must meet in order
>to become a disciple.
>
>If the purpose of the verse was instead to describe one characteristic of a
>disciple, would one write OU DUNATAI EINAI MAQHTHS MOU? If not, how would
>one write the verse in order to describe a characteristic of a disciple
>rather than a condition one must meet before one can become a disciple?

I really do not think that the position of MOU before or after the noun
that it modifies matters. The meaning is the same either way. The use of EI
. . .+ the indicative . . . does not indicate as much contingency as EAN
plus the subjunctive would. Also, note that this is the use of hyperbole
which I think does indicate a characteristic of disciples as it is written.
It says that "My disciple puts me first."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net