RE: Luke 14:26 (A matter of emphasis perhaps)

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 10:24:53 EST

<Roger's original question>
<<The verse appears to state a qualifying condition that one must meet in
order to become a disciple.
<<If the purpose of the verse was instead to describe one characteristic of
a disciple, would one write OU DUNATAI EINAI MAQHTHS MOU? If not, how would
one write the verse in order to describe a characteristic of a disciple
rather than a condition one must meet before one can become a disciple?>>

I think it is important to note:

* Jesus did not preclude the possibility of someone putting his hand to the
plow and then looking back..
* the verbs here are all present tense, not the perfect (or aorist). It is
not "if anyone hasn't forsaken" or "if anyone doesn't forsake" but rather
"if anyone isn't forsaking..."
* so the present in "be" my disciple is "can't be" or "can't be being" MY
disciple...

So, the verses seem to me to be implying:

* one cannot become a disciple without forsaking all
* one cannot presently be a disciplie without presently forsaking all
* one cannot at any time fail to forsake all and still be a disciple

No?

Bill Ross