Re: SHMERON in Luke 23:43

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 09:28:44 EST

At 8:19 PM -0800 1/13/00, Christopher Barttels wrote:
>In this verse, KAI EIPEN AUTWi hO IHSOUS, AMHN LEGW SOI
>SHMERON MET' EMOU ESHi EN TWi PARADEISWi , (And he said to
>him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in
>Paradise." RSV). How is SHMERON used in this verse?
>Thanks for the help.

This is an interesting question which has been discussed on B-Greek
previously twice; those interested may wish to consult the archives:
        7/30/96-8/1/96 header: Re: Luke 23:43 - Where does the comma go?
        4/3/98 header: Re: Silly Greek Questions?

My own sense is that the preponderance of judgment in those discussions was
that SHMERON should be understood to construe with ESHi--but this was by no
means a unanimous judgment, and anyone seriously interested in the question
ought to consider the arguments on both sides.

My own view: (a) It should be realized that punctuation of the Greek text
is supplied by an editor and is absent from the oldest MSS, so there is not
really any clear indication in the formatting of the sentence; (b) I haven
just checked my gut feeling that adverbs more generally (although certainly
not without exception) PRECEDE what they qualify in the case of NT usage of
SHMERON, and this is what I've found (using AcCordance 4.1):

There are 41 instances of SHMERON in the GNT; 8 of these are to be
discounted as within prepositional phrases (e.g., MECRI THS SHMERON, EN THi
SHMERON), 3 more are to be discounted as substantives used as subject or
objects of verbs; apart from the verse with which we are concerned (Lk
23:43) there are 29 instances of the adverbial SHMERON, 11 of them used
emphatically AFTER the verb, 18 BEFORE the verb. I don't think that's
really conclusive, although I would still say that the preponderance favors
taking the SHMERON in Lk 23:43 as construing with ESHi. However, it strikes
me that the word-order of Mark 14:30, despite the intervening hOTI which
could be understood in Lk 23:43, is remarkably similar and seems to me to
be a pretty good indicator that we should understand SHMERON in Lk 23:43
with ESHi:

Mark 14:30 KAI LEGEI AUTWi hO IHSOUS: AMHN LEGW SOI hOTI SU SHMERON TAUTHi
THi NUKTI PRIN H DIS ALEKTORA FWNHSAI TRIS ME APARNHSHi. In this instance
SHMERON could hardly be more emphatic in view of the sequence of climactic
intensifiers and it clearly must be construed with APARNHSHi.

Luke 23:43 KAI EIPEN AUTWi: AMHN SOI LEGW SHMERON MET' EMOU ESHi EN TWi
PARADEISWi

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu