a strange nominative

From: Rod Whitacre (rodwhitacre@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:03:35 EST

Does anyone have a suggestion for the use of KALOI in the following clause:

hINA EI MEN FULAXOIEN THN CARIN KAI MENOIEN KALOI

"so that if they kept the grace and remained good"

This is from Athanasius, On the Incarnation, 3.4. The reference is to Adam
and Eve in the Garden. It seems KALOI should be the subject here ("and
goodness [?] remained"), but the translations I've checked take it as above,
so I think I'm missing something obvious in the grammar.

Thanks.

Rod Whitacre