PANTES in Romans 3:23

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 23:14:31 EST

I received the following question from my uncle, and I am somewhat at loss
in how to respond:

>I have a translation question for you, if you could be so
>kind to help me. In Romans 3:23 is the word all (pas) to mean "all groups" or
>all individuals. I know someone who states that the word all for individuals
>is "panton" not "pas." Therefore the translation means all groups and not all
>individuals. Thanks a bunch! Uncle Jim

For reference, Romans 3:23 is PANTES GAR hHMARTON KAI hUSTEROUNTAI THS
DOXHS TOU QEOU.

All my reference works merely state than an anarthrous substantive PANTES
means "all," with no indication of "all groups." I also feel that "all
groups" is ruled out by the context.

Can anyone clarify things up here?

Stephen Carlson

--