Re: AISCHROTES and "Fellatio"

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@mailhost.chi.ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 12:25:47 EST

Jim West wrote:

> Take a look at the article by Bultmann in the TDNT- vol 1- pp 189ff on the
> root aisxunh- where he deals with this word's essential meaning.
>
> I think L-S.'s "fellatio" is just totally off base.

Apart from the fact that the idea that a word has an essential meaning
is somewhat
perplexing, I think -- if memory serves -- the latest edition of the LSJ
in print
takes into consideration some evidence (of which Butlmann was unaware,
since it was
discovered after he wrote) from the Palatine Anthology that supports the
reading.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--