Question Concerning Terminology

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 15:14:12 EST

<x-flowed>This message asks questions concerning linguistic terminology.

What are the differences (or relationship) between the terms "morphology"
and "accidence." Are these merely synonyms? Or is "morphology" a broader
category than "accidence"? (Or something else altogether?)

What are the differences (or relationships) between the terms "syntax,"
"grammar," and "semantics"? Is "syntax" a part of "grammar," and "grammar"
a part of "semantics"?

It seems to me (I don't know if others with concur or not) that the major
task of a beginning student learning Greek is threefold: (a) memorizing
basic vocabulary, (b) memorizing paradigms, and (c) learning basic syntax.
Given this generalization, would one say that this represents: (a)
vocabulary, (b) accidence, and (c) syntax? (I'm especially concerned about
the appropriateness of 'b' "accidence.") Or what terms would you prefer?
Also, while we are at it, would you agree with such a generalization? Or
would you put it differently?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).