Re: Learning Ancient Greek (was: Question Concerning Terminology)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 17:17:06 EST

----------
>From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam@compuserve.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Cc: b-greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Learning Ancient Greek (was: Question Concerning Terminology)
>Date: Sun, Jan 23, 2000, 1:28 PM
>

> I've read Greek for thirty years
> 'without speaking' and have occasionally surprised beginning students by
> telling them that 'I don't know Greek'.

A few years ago I tried to translate T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men" into
something like Hellenistic syntax but using vocabulary from attic to
supplement where there were gaps. This little exercise didn't get past
about 15 lines before I got real tired of it but it did help point out
that I didn't "Know Greek." Perhaps my problem was picking the wrong
poem. "The Waste Land" would have been more, ah . . . hmm, more
something anyway.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew