RE: what to do with three adverbs?

From: Sam@intercom.es
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 14:45:20 EST

----- Mensaje original -----
De: <peterg45@excite.com>
Para: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Enviado: jueves, 27 de enero de 2000 5:45
Asunto: what to do with three adverbs?

> I am currently studying Mark 1:29-39, and at the start of v. 35 there
are
> three adverbs in a row after the initial KAI--PRWI ENNUCA LIAN. How do you
> handle (and explain) this? I seems like St. Mark is allowing Peter to
> dictate from the Semitic side of his brain.
>
> Gordon Goltz

I haven't been able to detect where's the semitic brain in this expression!
First, PRWI means the starting of the day (for a non-semitic one, that is,
for a greek one, it means just when appears the Dawn. I'm thinking about
Homer, for example, when he talks about the Dawn with her pinky fingers
(sorry, I'm Catalan and I'm quoting and translating in just one step) before
the sun arises. So, if the writer wanted to set clear that there was still
darkness, he must point it. This is the reason for ENNUXA.
Second, LIAN uses to be joined to another word, in this case, ENNUXA, the
hour wasn't when you can already see because of the light, nor when you can
distinguish the horizon. There was still darkness all around.
Third, PRWI LIAN is a set phrase that means in the very begining of the day
(Cf. Plut. Crass. 17) (Note that LIAN goes after his adverb like in your
quote). So, PRWI ENNUXA LIAN only adds to the set phrase the nuance of the
darkness.
In the other hand, I'm agree with Mr. Randall Buth and I think that this
passage is expressed by a geek thought better than a semitic one, because it
seems to considerate the begining of the day just with the dawn and not with
the sunset.
Pehaps we'll have to wait for other b-greekers to participate in this
question.

God Bless