Re: Difficult Texts

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 15:21:43 EST

----------
>From: "Steve Puluka" <spuluka@hotmail.com>

> Unfortunately, Habakkuk 3 is not listed. I suspect that a good part of the
> difficulty here is poetry. I love poetry. But poetry in the Septuagint is
> poetry already translated, a difficult task to be sure. And we are laboring
> to repeat the process off the translation. Why not go back to the Hebrew,
> you may ask? Because we really cannot tell with certainty where the
> differences between the Septuagint and the MT are the result of translation
> and where they may have come from alternative texts.

Steve,

Could not agree more. I never study the LXX without the MT and never
study the MT without the LXX. This makes life twice as difficult since
both the MT and the LXX are much more of a challenge than reading the
Gospels or even the Apocalypse. However, if one is willing to spend a
few dozen hours looking at Hab 3:2-19 one might actually come up with
something rewarding for the effort. This text is important for a larger
project so I am going to stick with it even though giving up is a
temptation.

Clay