Re: Mammon

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 16:54:06 EST

At 12:27 PM 1/28/00 -0800, you wrote:
I have thought long and hard for a personification of selfish extravagance
that is generallyh known in our culture, and I think the most widely
recognized term is Scrooge, and so I am using it instead of Mammon. In the
statement that you cannot serve God and Scrooge (v.13), I think the
appropriateness of personification is vital to a correct interpretation.
What do you who are wiser and more knowledgeable than I think?
> By God, Joseph Garnier

I would change it. Scrooge just doesnt really work. It is not an accurate
translation and it is also not a dynamic equivalent. Perhaps you might try
"stuff" or "things" or "materialism". Mammon is not a personification in
the sense that Wisdom is personfied as a woman in Proverbs. Mammon is
actually nothing more than the aramaic word for "stuff" or "things". I,
further, think that the "Scrooge" rendering will not be as clear to most of
your readers as you imagine. Some may indeed think that you should not
serve your mean employer (which is what Scrooge is). And of course Mammon
has absolutely nothing to do with employer - employee relations at all.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net