[Fwd: Foreign Language Acquisition]

From: Cal Redmond (cal.redmond@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 22:40:26 EST

A book that has been used frequently by missionaries is Language Acquisition Made
Practical: A Comprehensive "How-ti" Book for Learning Any Language," by E. Thomas
Brewster and Elizabeth S. Brewster, Colorado Springs: Lingua House, 1976. This
stresses patterns for learning small bits of useful phrases, practicing the small
pieces until fluent with those pieces, and has the advantage of building a sense of
community with those who are serving as teachers. This may be available through the
William Carey Library at the US Center for World Mission in Pasadena, CA.

One of my best friends from M. Div. days used this to become fluent in Fufulde, the
language of a large Muslim ethnic-linguisitic group in West Africa.

Cal Redmond, Ph.D.
Professor of New Testament Designate,
International School of Theology-Asia
Manila, The Philippines