RE: BC/AD or BCE/CE--What's the difference?

From: James Ernest (jernest@hendrickson.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 12:19:32 EST

With apologies for perpetuating a non-Greek thread...
standard reference works (e.g., the Merriam-Webster
Collegiate Dictionary) list "Christian Era" and then
also "Common Era" as expansions of "CE." I'd be
interested to know when the abbreviations "CE" and
"BCE" were first used, and with what meaning. I'd
bet "common" is later (a euphemism, as it were,
with the same initial letter).

Of course, Carl's and Jeffrey's postings describe
current usage accurately; except for the interesting
phenomenon of certain Jewish scholars who prefer
using BC and AD because they see "common era" as a
small manifestation of a dangerous impulse to forget
or whitewash the past.

I've also wondered about the linguistic asymmetry of
"anno Domini" (Latin) and "before Christ" (English).

Btw: when using AD, put it before the number. Doing
so will show that you're even more out of step with
the times than if you put it afterward (which could
suggest, exculpatingly, that you don't know what the
letters stand for).

--but I think I hear a gavel being picked up...

James D. Ernest
Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
Ph.D. cand., Boston College
S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
  P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
FAX: 978/573-8243 PHONE: 978/573-2243
E-MAIL: jernest@hendrickson.com / ernest@bc.edu