Re: BC/AD or BCE/CE--What's the difference?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 07:10:38 EST

<x-flowed>To: Grant Polle,

I would add one more point. CE can be taken to mean either "Christian era"
or "Common era," and BCE can be taken to mean either "before the Christian
era" or "before the Common era" (for example, see the list of abbreviations
for the Anchor Bible Dictionary). But I would guess that the motive for
using BCE & CE is in part fashion, and in part that they are more neutral
than the overtly Christian BC & AD.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).