Re: MT Text vs LXX

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 07:10:04 EST

<x-flowed>To: Grant Polle,

<< Why does the Septuagint differ from the Masoretic text in the ages given
within the Genesis account particularly chapter 5? What evidence is there
to give support to one over the other? Is the LXX wrong? MT wrong? Personal
opinion? >>

If you have permission to ask this question, then I would assume that it
would be a safe assumption that the rest of us have tacit permission to
reply to your questions, yes?

The answer which most mainstream scholars would give is that they are both
fictions, as is most (if not all) of Genesis (as is most, if not all of
Hebrew scripture). But I would assume that a discussion of the historicity,
or the lack of historicity of Hebrew scripture, to be off-topic for the
B-Greek list, so I'll say no more on this subject. As to which fiction is
earlier or more "authentic" than the other fiction, that's an interesting
question, but not one where there is a lot of solid evidence. Although, I
wouldn't be surprised if most scholars thought of the Hebrew text here as
being more "authentic." One interesting point, although not about the list
of descendants in Genesis chapter 5, but rather the continuation of the
list in chapter 10, Luke clearly borrows his genealogy from the LXX and not
from the MT (see: Luke 3:35-36 and Genesis 11:12 in both the MT and LXX).

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).