Genitive with subject or predicate

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 15:53:25 EST

In Romans 7:1
     hOTI hO NOMOS KURIEUEI TOU ANQRWPOU EF' hOSON XRONON ZH;

The fairly straight forward translation would be something like:
    "that the law reigns over a person for as long as he lives"

However, I'd like someone to help me understand how one arrives at
this. Specifically, does TOU ANQRWPOU limit KURIEUEI or NOMOS? And,
how would you go about determining which is the better route to the
translation? Is it just word order in this case? Is it always word
order? I'm not trying to pick a nit, just trying to take an easy text
so I can understand the more difficult ones.

Really complete answers will gain applause. :-)

Thanks ahead of time for your time.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us