Re: Quirk et al., Clauses, and Greek Syntax

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 10:51:02 EST

>I'm reading "A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language" by Randolph
>Quirk et al. (1985), and they suggest that there are five primary types of
>clauses, which they refer to as: (a) subject, (b) verb, (c) object, (d)
>complement, and (e) adverbial.

Steven, would you be willing to post least one example of each of these
clause type, according to Quirk. I'm familiar with his name from my
linguistic studies, but never read him in depth. I am familiar with
complement and adverbial clauses, but don't know what Quirk is referring to
by the other 3 types.

 I would guess that no one has written a
>Greek grammar which analysis Greek clauses using these five categories, but
>I wonder would there be any problems in someone doing such? Would it make
>sense to analysis Greek clauses using these five categories? Does anyone
>have any thoughts on this?

My only thought is that one should always use a model to describe a language
that best fits that language. Many misconceptions and false "grammatical
rules" about English have abounded because some tried to describe it within
models of language which better fit classical languages Greek and Latin.

Wayne

Bible Translation discussion list website:
http://BibleTranslation.listbot.com