Re: Degree of indefiniteness of hOSOI clause in Gal 3.10

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 20:02:35 EST

Dear Warren,

thanks for the information. Please allow me to ask some clarifying
questions.

> You might be happy to know that hOSOS/H/O lives on in Modern Greek in its
> historic role as a correlative of quantity.

What is "a correlative of quantity"?

> In MG, hOSIOS can still highlight indefiniteness by the using the subjunctive
> with (KAI) AN. Amazing, isn't it, the persistence of this language?

So, the original relative pronoun, hO, is replaced by POU, but hOSIOS
has survived?

>Returning to
> Moon's original question, then, the Gal. 3:10 use of hOSOI plus indicative,
> when viewed through a synchronic lens of language development, would seem to
> point to a low degree of indefiniteness.

I wanted to know the hOSOI clause in Gal 3:10 single out a historical
entity rather than potentially existing entity. By "low degree of
indefiniteness"
do you mean that the hOSOI clause refer to an entity which is potentially
existing, but which may be realized at any moment?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Associate Professor
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea