Distinguishing Genitive from Ablative

From: Christian Cryder (ccryder@applianceware.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 14:18:53 EST

Hi folks,

Apologies in advance if this question is too simple. This is my first
post, and while I had several years of greek in college, that was 9 years
ago and I'm quite rusty. I'm currently working on rectifying this
situation by working through my old grammars. If my questions are beneath
the level of this list, please feel free to redirect me to a more
appropriate forum.

My specific question is this: How does one distinguish between ablative
and genitive forms? I know that in some cases it's obvious based on the
context. But in other's it seems like it's harder to tell. For instance:

hO DIDASKOLOS PEMPEI TOUS DOULOUS TOU OIKOU TW POTAMW (hope I did that
right!)

It seems to me this could be taken several ways:
1. The teacher sends the servants from the house to the river (abl)
2. The teacher sends the servants of the house to the river (gen)

In other words, if I specifically wanted to convey the idea that these
were "household servants" being sent to the river, how would I do so?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Christian Cryder
AW System Architect