Re: Acrostic What is it?

From: Gerald E Lincoln (glincoln@juno.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 09:58:15 EST

A brief example of what may be an acrostic in the NT is Philippians 3:2.

BLEPETE TOUS KUNAS,
BLEPETE TOUS KAKOUS ERGATAS,
BLEPETE THN KATATOMHN.

It is also an example of a sentence type, called anaphora, where each
clause begins with the repetition of the same word.

ERGATAS stands outside of the form of the acrostic and draws attention.
It also serves as a point of comparison and contrast to his works in the
flesh and faith in 3:3-11.

Gerald E. Lincoln
Mount Joy, PA

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!