Demonic Discourse - Mark 5:12

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:36:43 EST

Reading again through the first half of Mk 5, I was struck by the
fullness of expression in the demonic request:

Mk 5:12

. . . PEMYON hHMAS EIS TOUS XOIROUS,
      hINA EIS AUTOUS EISELQWMEN.

The hINA clause seems not quite but almost an exact repetition of what
precedes. Matt and Luke do not report the demonic request in this form.
I assume that this "say it again" construction using a hINA clause is
one that can be found elsewhere in the NT but I cannot immediately
recall an example. Someone else might be able to come up with another
example.

This fullness of expression serves a discourse function, it slows down
the reader at this point and draws added attention to the demonic
request.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point