Re: Mercy Seat

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 18:10:59 EST

Ted:

Actually "mercy seat" came about from Martin Luther's translation
_Gnadenstuhl_through William Tyndale's translation. The Wycliffe Bible had
"propiatory" being influenced by Jerome's Latin Vulgate. Many words like
this (e.g. tabernacle) have come over into the religious vocabulary of
people and to translate them differently sometimes is confusing to readers.

Hope this helps

Kevin

At 04:39 PM 2/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>When such prestigious translations as the NASB and NRSV translate
>hILASTHRIOV as "mercy seat" (Heb.9:5), I assume there is a reason beyond
>mere tradition, but I can't find it with my rather meager resources. Is
>there any particular reason for not using "place of propitiation," or
>some such? Thanks.
>
>Ted
>
>Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann / thmann@juno.com
>Fax and Voice Mail: 1-562-750-5242
>http://www.homestead.com/ChristianResourcesLinks/index.html
>http://www.homestead.com/eLOGOS/index.html
>http://www.homestead.com/eIXQUS/index.html

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>
>---
>B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: cierpke@prodigy.net