Re: Mercy Seat

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 20:52:37 EST

<x-flowed>At 06:44 PM 2/16/00 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>I sometimes wonder how much of the
>difficulty lies with our grasping what it means to satisfy the wrath of a
>bloodthirsty god by killing a precious animal (and surely there are few
>animals we wouldn't want to call precious) and pouring out its blood for a
>god. I speak for myself only here, although I wonder if some others might
>share my feeling of how utterly alien to us/me is the system of animal
>sacrifice upon which the function of the hILASATHRION is grounded.

When I lived with a man from Kenya, we were at a Bible study where I
commented on how foreign this concept this is to us today, and Wathiga
looked at me and replied that animals are still sacrificed in Kenya, and
that Africans readily relate to this. I'm sure there are many other parts
of the world where this is true.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Robie