Fw: forked tongues

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 14:15:00 EST

Bart, where I translate, on an Indian reservation, "forked tongue" is
understood well, at least among some people, since they have distinct
memories of having been spoken to with forked tongue so often in the past.
The Indians here even have their sign language sign for speaking with forked
tongue. It uses the index and middle finger, slightly spread, forked shaped,
and the hand is passed over the mouth, to indicate speaking with forked
tongue.

But here's another option for English that preserves the Greek metaphor
pretty well and is understood by more current speakers of English than
"forked tongue":

"Don't be double-minded or speak out of both sides of your mouth."

(The more direct "don't be" seems to be more natural current English for
the command *function* than use of the future tense to function as a
command. "Thou shalt not kill" is better stated for today's English speakers
as "Don't kill!" The meaning is the same, only the form has changed, but
forms often must change to keep translation as accurate as possible.)

Wayne Leman
Bible translation discussion list: http://BibleTranslation.listbot.com