Re: Paleographic problem in Porter

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 21:53:11 EST

Would Porter's writing -- or his printed words -- fall under the heading of
Paleography? This entire exercise seems to assume that it would. Therefore,
with apologies to Porter, I proceed apace.

At 6:03 PM -0800 2/19/00, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>Richard,
>
>After give this sever more moments so semi serious consideration I think
>I would like to amend my previous suggestion. I would now like to
>suggest the words:
>
>content/substance
>
>Clay

What were you drinking during those sever more moments, Clay? And were
there SEVEN of them, SEVERAL of them, or were they SEVERE? Which should we
deem the LECTIO DIFFICILIOR?

>----------
>>From: "clayton stirling bartholomew" <c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net>
>>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>

>> Richard,
>>
>> Conjectural emendation of a text where there is a living author is
>> always risky, but I will take the risk and suggest that you could supply
>> any one of the following words to fill the lacuna:
>>
>> weight/significance/force
>>
>> ----------
>>>From: "Richard Maurer" <rsmaurer@gis.net>
>>>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>>>Subject: Paleographic problem in Porter
>>>Date: Sat, Feb 19, 2000, 7:56 PM
>>>

>>> While we're on the subject of Porter's *Idioms*, there's a lacuna between
>>> pages 39 and 40 of the second edition: "The stative aspect carries the most
>>> semantic <.....> conveyed by the tense-form by itself (without reference to
>>> contextual factors) than by any other tense-form." Does anyone know what's
>>> missing?

The one problem I see with all five of Clay's suggestions--two, if we
disregard the first three--is that something more is still needed to
coordinate with "than"--unless (perhaps) Porter meant to write "more"
rather than "the most ..."

Hmm, now I wonder who was doing the drinking? I'm reminded of the old Latin
tag: "NUMQUAM POETOR NISI POTUS", which being interpreted is, "I never
compose except when fortified by strong drink" (or was it, NISI
PODAGER--"unless afflicted with gout"?)--might that describe Porter's
writing after a little too much Porter? or Clay's fingers on the keyboard
after "sever more moments so semi serious consideration"? It would appear
that the lacuna may well be longer and more serious than previously
expected. But enough, enough, enough!

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu