Re: Rev 1:4

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 17:07:11 EST

<x-flowed>At 10:27 AM 2/12/00 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 6:43 PM -0600 2/11/00, dell linn wrote:
> > In the phrase, 'who is and who was and who is to come', is the use of
> >ERCHOMAI an idiom? Must this latter part of the phrase refer to eternal
> >existence in the future or can it refer to an actual event (an actual
> >coming)? Please support your answer.
>
>My impression is that this is an expression in Hebrew, "he that
>cometh"--and if I recall aright, there was a celebrated book on the topic
>(I haven't read it) by Sigmund Mowinckel, _He that Cometh_.

Back to Dell's original question, I think that hO ERCOMENOS, in the phrase
hO WN KAI hO HN KAI hO ERCOMENOS, does not refer to eternal existence in
the future. It refers to "he who comes". In context, I think it does imply
an event. If someone wanted to take this phrase out of context, I think the
Greek could be bent to say that it is the nature of Jesus to come, that he
is the one who always comes to each of us, but that interpretation would
ignore not only the context of the passage but the whole book in which the
phrase is found.

However, it's a shame to be so analytical about this phrase. Once you pick
apart the syntax, it's worth closing your eyes and letting the phrase echo
in your mind a few times - it is a very powerful, dramatic piece of
imagery. The language of worship in Revelation is one of the most wonderful
parts of the book.

> > Also, is 'seven spirits' an allusion to the Holy Spirit or is it
> >reference to angels or other created beings? Please give support for your
> >choice.

Don't forget to look at the other three places that this phrase occurs:

         Rev 1:4
         Rev 3:1
         Rev 4:5
         Rev 5:6