Re: Romans 3:21,22 PEFANERWTAI - Verbal Ellipsis

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 07:45:20 EST

At 8:01 PM -0800 2/20/00, John Wilking wrote:
>Can we read PEFANERWTAI as the missing verb in Romans 3:22 and thus read
it
>as DIKAIOSUNN DE QEOU PEFANERWTAI...EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS?

"NUNI DE CWRIS NOMOU DIKAIOSUNH QEOU PEFANERWTAI MARTUROUMENH hUPO TOU
NOMOU KAI TWN PROFHTWN, DIKAIOSUNH DE QEOU KAI PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU EIS
PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS..."

(Forgive me if there are errors in my transliteration. This is the first
time I have posted and I am not exactly excellent at this transliteration
scheme.)

Interestingly, I don't think that the clause needs a verb. The idea is
possibly in aposition to the first phrase.

"But now without law a righteousness of God has been manifest being
testified by the law and the prophets, and a righteousness of God and of
faith in Jesus Christ unto all the ones believing..."

I think that makes the most sense.

Jason Hare