Re: Clauses

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 00:40:22 EST

----------
>From: "C. E. Core" <jesuslover@neteze.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Clauses
>Date: Mon, Feb 21, 2000, 8:53 PM
>

> What I want to be able to do is find a way to link the subordinate
> clause, in any given passage, to the clause it modifies and more
> particularly to the term it modifies. And to know if it acts as an
> adjective, an adverb, or something else.
> Can the Gk. text do this in a mechanical way . . .

Core,

Back in the bad old days when I used to work for a living, I worked in
the same group and occasionally shared an office with various AI
(artificial intelligence) people. We used to spend a lot of the time
tossing around questions like this.

The answer is not particularly straight forward, but for the purposes of
most people on this list the effective answer is NO, there is no
automated way to do this. But for those who have dabbled deeply in
language processing this NO answer will not go by unchallenged.

There are people down in Texas (West Camp Wisdom Road) who could address
this question in some detail if the saw fit to do it.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point