Gener-specific or gender-inclusive?

From: David McKay (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 20:10:14 EST

> << After all, although such use of (so called)
> "politically correct" language sounds silly to some, the lack of such
usage
> sound sexist and bigoted to others. That seems to be a fair enough
> statement, wouldn't you agree? >>
>
> Absolutely NOT!

What I find interesting about our sensibilities with regard to
gender-specific or gender-inclusive language is that when people who prefer
to keep the masculine read the Scriptures or preach from it, they still can
be observed to say things like "Obviously the masculine here also includes
women too." Why then are they squeamish about this being in the text in the
first place? [I'm a cautious user of inclusive language, btw.]

David McKay
music@fl.net.au