perfection in 1 Corinthians 13:9-10

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 16:37:11 EST

<< EK MEROUS GAR GINWSKOMEN KAI EK MEROUS PROFHTEUOMEN: hOTAN DE ELQHi TO
TELEION, TO EK MEROUS KATARGHQHSETAI. >> (1 Cor. 13:9-10)

"But whenever should come the 'perfect,' the 'from part' is destroyed."

I have heard several explanations for this (from the completion of the
canon to the Second Coming), but I think there may be something more in the
word TELEIOS than we acknowledge here.

The context is that Paul is discussing the use of spiritual gifts (esp.
tongues, prophecy, and knowledge). He says that when the "perfect" comes,
the imperfect would disappear. That is because these gifts were/are done
only in part.

We notice in Ephesians 4:11ff that the same is true of the offices within
the Church.

"{11} And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some
evangelists, some pastors and teachers, {12} to equip the saints for the
work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, {13} UNTIL we all
attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to
mature manhood, to the measure of the measure of the stature of the fulness
of Christ; {14} so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and
carried about with every wind of doctrine..." (RSV)

These offices are in the Church << MECRI KATANTHSWMEN hOI PANTES... EIS
ANDRA TELEION..." >>

Perhaps this is the key to understanding what Paul meant in 1 Cor. 13. If
that is true, though, then the gifts of the Spirit (God forbid) are to be
still in effect today. Indeed, there are groups that abuse and FAKE the
gifts, but that does not remove the validity of the Scriptures.

This is something I stumbled across in my study. Send comments my way. I
am not Pentecostal or Charismatic. I am a Christian who happens to believe
that God brings power to our lives. Personally, I do not speak in tongues,
but I will not limit the fact that some do.

Comments, please.

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College