Re: "In the beginning was the word" (Jn 1:1a)

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 19:54:26 EST

<x-flowed>To: Gfsomsel,

<< ... you have such statements as "I need to have a word with you." >>

IMO, the basic meaning for the English term "word" refers to "a speech
sound or series of sounds that symbolizes and communicates a meaning
without being divisible into smaller units capable of independent use". In
the example you presented, the term "word" is being used to refer to a
brief remark or a brief conversation. To my knowledge, neither of these
uses can be found for LOGOS in the NT.

SCM: << For many people the term "man" is no longer used in an inclusive
sense, and thus for such people a non-"politically correct" translation
would violate their sense of English idiom. >>

G: << BAH! hUMBUG! >>

The 10th edition of "Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary" states that
the term "bah" is "used to express disdain or contempt." But I'm unclear as
to what you mean to suggest by making such a remark. To what part of my
statement do you object? After all, although such use of (so called)
"politically correct" language sounds silly to some, the lack of such usage
sound sexist and bigoted to others. That seems to be a fair enough
statement, wouldn't you agree?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).