Re: "In the beginning was the word" (Jn 1:1a)

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 20:16:20 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2000 7:50:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
scmiller@www.plantnet.com writes:

<< In
 the example you presented, the term "word" is being used to refer to a
 brief remark or a brief conversation. To my knowledge, neither of these
 uses can be found for LOGOS in the NT. >>

Try these passages on for size.

Acts 6

1 Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the
Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected
in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the body of the
disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the
word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you
seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may
appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the
ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said [hO LOGOS] pleased the whole
multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy
Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and
Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and
they prayed and laid their hands upon them.

Acts 11

 22 News [hO LOGOS] of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and
they sent Barnabas to Antioch.

Acts 13

15 After the reading of the law and the prophets, the rulers of the synagogue
sent to them, saying, “Brethren, if you have any word [LOGOS] of exhortation
for the people, say it.”

All involve brief (or not so brief) remarks made or anticipated.

gfsomsel