Re: "In the beginning was the word" (Jn 1:1a) <LYR324-39855-2000.02.22-21.24.26--x99swain#wmich.edu@franklin.oit.unc.edu>

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 15:19:02 EST

The Targumim do indeed employ "memra" [Aramaic: word, command] as the creative Word
of God, and I personally think more study needs to be done on this, rather than the
current dismissive thought that "memra" was merely a substitute for using the name
YHWH. Especially in Targum Neofiti 1, "memra" is used along with the name YHWH, not
in substitution of it. And at times, the "memra" acts the same way as does the
"angel of the LORD."

Perhaps, indeed, the writer of John 1:1a was weaving many strands into his tapestry,
which would clearly resonate with his original audience.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org