RE: In the beginning midrash/bilingualism

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 13:25:54 EST

There is definite value in understanding the pull of Hebraisms on the NT
Greek syntax. Often times we get non-traditional (but not incorrect) Greek
constructions in the NT that are perfectly explainable from the point of
view of a Jew. For example, take Titus 2:11-13:

« {11} EPEFANH GAR H CARIS TOU QEOU SWTHRIOS PASIN ANQRWPOIS {12}
PAIDEUOUSA hHMAS, hINA ARNHSAMENOI THN ASEBEIAN KAI TAS KOSMIKAS EPIQUMIAS
SWFRONWS KAI KIKAIWS KAI EUSEBWS ZHSWMEN EN TWi NUN AIWNI, {13}
PROSDECOMENOI THN MAKARIAN ELPIDA KAI EPIFANEIAN THS DOXHS TOU MEGALOU QEOU
KAI SWTHROS hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU... »

See it? « EPIFANEIAN THS DOXHS TOU MEGALOU QEOU... »

« Appearing of the Glory of the Great God. »

That is an interesting Hebraism. In Hebrew this is a common construction,
because they express things differently. For instance, in a common prayer
(recited after the Shema) it is stated: « Barúch shem kevód malchutó
le'olám va'ed. » (i.e., Blessed the name of the glory of His kingdom
forever and ever) That means "Blessed is the name of His_glorious_kingdom
forever and ever.

So we see from this Hebraism that Titus is probably best translated:

« The glorious appearing of the Great God. » or « The appearing of the
glorious, great God. »

It is interesting to see the light thrown on the text from all different
angles. But as far as the Targums are concerned, they may have been
written later, but what about oral tradition. (This should be reserved for
b-hebrew. So post it there and I'll discuss [I am far from an expert in
Hebrew or those things, but am open for talk.].)

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College