Re: b-greek digest: February 27, 2000

From: Bob Wilkin (ges@faithalone.org)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 16:31:47 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Ward asked about John 8:30-32ff.

Yes, your view is indeed defensible from the Greek text. I would say it is
the only feasible view if one compares 8:30, 31 with 8:45. Unless John is an
inept writer the group referred to in verses 30-32 is clearly different that
the one in verses 33ff.

According to John 3:16 ALL who believe in Him (PAS HO PISTEUWN EIS AUTON)
have everlasting life.

It is interesting that you mention this question, since it was one of my
questions on my doctoral exams at Dallas Theological Seminary.

Bob Wilkin
ges@faithalone.org

> [...]
people.
> That is, he describes these same people as "the Jews who had believed in
> him" (verse 31), as being those who are seeking to kill him (verse 40), as
> children of the devil (verse 44), and as not belonging to God (verse 47;
> these latter three in the accusations of Jesus), while they for their part
> accuse Jesus of being a Samaritan and demon-possessed (verses 48, 52), and
> they pick up stones to stone him (verse 59).
>
> Then the point is often drawn from this passage that intellectual belief
is
> not enough, heart commitment to Jesus is required of a disciple, and so
> forth. A parallel may be drawn with Judas - one of the inner group, and
yet
> he betrayed Jesus.
>
> Now, is this really a valid understanding of this passage? My examination
of
> the Greek makes me wonder whether a different meaning is intended.
>
> First, the word PISTEUW in John. Are we to understand that those in vese
30
> who EPISTEUSAN EIS AUTON are identical with those in the very next verse
> whom Jesus addresses, PROS TOUS PEPISTEUKOTAS AUTWi IOUDAIOUS? That is,
can
> we accept that PISTEUW followed by EIS plus the accusative is the same in
> meaning as PISTEUW followed by the dative? I would accept this, and also
in
> context I take it that in verse 31 Jesus is addressing the same people who
> in verse 30 are said to have come to believe in him. Are you with me in
this?

> Next, can we accept that John is here using PISTEUW of a mere intellectual
> assent, so that these very same people who are said to have EPISTEUSAN in
> him go on to call him demon-possessed and take up stones against him, and
> it is of them that Jesus says they are of their father the devil (verse
44)
> and do not belong to God (verse 47)?
>
> I have a real problem with this. John has said that to believe in Jesus is
> to have life eternal and to be not condemned, whereas those who are
> condemned are condemned already precisely because they have NOT believed
> (John 3:15-18). My problem is that I cannot see the John who said this
> (chapter 3) going on a little later (chapter 8) to use PISTEUW of those
who
> are described as children of the devil and who do not belong to God but
> seek to stone Jesus.
>
> So I see John 8 in these terms:
>
> 1. Jesus is speaking in the temple area (verse 20) to a crowd of people
> some of whom quite clearly do not accept him (cf. verses 13, 22) - who, he
> says, will die in their sins (vese 24).
>
> 2. But many (POLLOI) amongst this group of hearers DO believe in him, in
> the usual sense of PISTEUW in John (verse 30).
>
> 3. Jesus addresses this group of people, TOUS PEPISTEUKOTAS AUTWi
IOUDAIOUS

kgs@iafrica.com">kgs@iafrica.com</A>]<BR>&gt; To =
> [...]
> believers) who answer Jesus (verse 33) with their indignant dissent, and
> with whom the escalating argument continues.
>
> 5. Thus I would take it that the subject of APEKRIQHSAN (verse 33) is NOT
> the previously-referred-to "believing Jews", but a generalized "they",
> i.e., "people in general"; in context here, others in the crowd which the
> context indicates was still present.
>
> Is my understanding of John 8 permitted by the Greek text? Is it indicated
> by the Greek text? Can we adduce other examples of where John uses a
plural
> verb without a specific external subject, and its subject is "some
people",
> "people in general"?
>
> Or is this just the best example you have met this week of prime
eisegesis? >>

> Subject: Re: John 8: Who are they?
> From: Polycarp66@aol.com
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:17:43 EST
>
> In a message dated 2/27/2000 5:57:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
> bwpowers@eagles.com.au writes:
>
> <<
> Now, it is commonly held by commentators that the Jews of verse 31, who
are
> said in this verse to have believed in him, had only a superficial
belief,
> and so in verse 32 Jesus is telling them that to be true, genuine
disciples
> (MAQHTAI) they need to keep going (EAN hUMEIS MEINHTE ...) - they aren't
> there yet. But (from verse 33 onwards) they start dissenting from his
> comments and then strongly disagreeing with him, wanting to kill him,
> accusing him of demon possession, and finally taking up stones to stone
him.

> I would think that it is necessary to go all the way back to 7.40-44 to
pick
> up the thread. There are two groups envisioned there. This creates a
> problem of reference for the pronouns. Sometimes one group is addressed
and
> sometimes the other. A small part of the problem is the interpolation of
the
> story of the woman taken in adultery. The impression is given that Jesus'
> opposition departs at that point. Once the interpolation is removed, there
> are still the two groups (less the temple police) -- those who believe in
him
> and those who don't. Unfortunately there is no "them (1)" and "them (2)."
> It is simply necessary to realize that the author has set up two groups
which
> are being spoken to somewhat alternately. The only way to distinguish
which
> group is being addressed is by the content and tone of the speech.
>
> gfsomsel

> Subject: Baptism of Jesus -- rival claims
> From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros@iol.ie>
> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:18:36 +0000
>
> In today's edition of Ha'aretz, there is a story about rival claims for

http://www3.haaretz.co.il/eng/scripts/article.asp?mador=5&datee=02/27/00&id=
70396
> includes this passage:
>
> Furthermore, on the opposite bank of
> the Jordan from Qasr al-Yahud, the Jordanians
> have been developing their own sacred baptism
> site. At a place known as Wadi Harar,
> approximately two kilometers east of the river, the
> remnants of an ancient church have been found.
> Jordanian tourism officials based themselves on a
> verse from the New Testament: "All this happened
> at the home of a poor woman on the other side of
> the Jordan, at the place where John the Baptist
> was." According to this verse, John the Baptist
> was east of the Jordan, and the Jordanian tourism
> minister managed to convince the pope to visit
> there.
>
> Anybody have a notion what verse the Jordanians are relying on?
>
> Maurice
> Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
> mauros@iol.ie
>
> [ subscribed to MSN Messenger
> o_sullivanmauric@hotmail.com ]

> Subject: Re: Baptism of Jesus -- rival claims
> From: Polycarp66@aol.com
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:38:39 EST
>
> In a message dated 2/27/2000 7:16:52 PM Central Daylight Time,
mauros@iol.ie=
> =20
> writes:
>
> <<=20
> Furthermore, on the opposite bank of
> the Jordan from Qasr al-Yahud, the Jordanians
> have been developing their own sacred baptism
> site. At a place known as Wadi Harar,
> approximately two kilometers east of the river, the
> remnants of an ancient church have been found.
> Jordanian tourism officials based themselves on a
> verse from the New Testament: "All this happened
> at the home of a poor woman on the other side of
> the Jordan, at the place where John the Baptist
> was." According to this verse, John the Baptist
> was east of the Jordan, and the Jordanian tourism
> minister managed to convince the pope to visit
> there.
> =20
> Anybody have a notion what verse the Jordanians are relying on?
> >>

> How about John 1?
>
> 24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25 They asked him,
=E2=80=9CT=
> hen why=20
> are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the=20
> prophet?=E2=80=9D 26 John answered them, =E2=80=9CI baptize with water;
but=20=
> among you stands=20
> one whom you do not know, 27 even he who comes after me, the thong of
whose=20
> sandal I am not worthy to untie.=E2=80=9D=20
>
> 28 This took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was
baptizing.=20

> 29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said,
=E2=80=9CBehold,=20=
> the Lamb=20
> of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I
said,=20
> =E2=80=98After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before
me.=E2=
> =80=99 31 I=20
> myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that
he=20
> might be revealed to Israel.=E2=80=9D 32 And John bore witness, =E2=80=9CI
s=
> aw the Spirit=20
> descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did
not=20
> know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, =E2=80=98He
o=
> n whom=20
> you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the
Holy=
> =20
> Spirit.=E2=80=99 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is
the=20=
> Son of=20
> God.=E2=80=9D
> 35 The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples; 36 and
h=
> e=20
> looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, =E2=80=9CBehold, the Lamb of God!=

> =E2=80=9D 37 The=20
> two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 38 Jesus
turned,=20
> and saw them following, and said to them, =E2=80=9CWhat do you
seek?=E2=80=
> =9D And they said=20
> to him, =E2=80=9CRabbi=E2=80=9D (which means Teacher), =E2=80=9Cwhere are
yo=
> u staying?=E2=80=9D 39 He said=20
> to them, =E2=80=9CCome and see.=E2=80=9D They came and saw where he was
stay=
> ing; and they=20
> stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the
two=
> =20
> who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter=E2=80=99s
br=
> other. 41=20
> He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, =E2=80=9CWe have found
th=
> e=20
> Messiah=E2=80=9D (which means Christ). 42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus
loo=
> ked at=20
> him, and said, =E2=80=9CSo you are Simon the son of John? You shall be
calle=
> d=20
> Cephas=E2=80=9D (which means Peter).=20
>
> gsomsel

> Subject: Re: Baptism of Jesus -- rival claims
> From: Carlton Winbery <winberyc@speedgate.net>
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:52:14 -0600
>
> Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote;
>
> I have no idea where such a verse is found, but some have some have
> identified SALIM in Jn 3:23 with a site east of the Jordan in the vicinity
> of wadi Harar.
> Some have also identified it with an area close to the head of the wadi
Faria.